Defending champ Del Potro withdraws from Indian Wells

Juan Martin del Potro
IANS|01-Mar-2019 10:25

Washington, Feb 28 : Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina said that he has withdrawn from next month's Indian Wells Open because of his knee injury.

"I am truly disappointed that I will not be able to return to the Indian Wells Open to defend my title," Del Potro said on Wednesday, reports Xinhua news agency.

"It is one of my favourite tournaments, and I have incredible memories from last year, but my doctors have advised me to rest. I hope to be back on court soon."

   |Read more : " Barca beat Real Madrid to reach Copa del Rey final "

Del Potro injured his knee during the Shanghai Masters last October. The Delray Beach Open he played last week has been his first tournament since the injury. The World No. 4, who fell in the quarterfinals at Delray Beach, admitted that he felt the pain throughout the event.

Japan's Taro Daniel, who beat Novak Djokovic of Serbia in Indian Wells last year, will take Del Potro's place in the draw.